Monday, October 17, 2011

True Enough.


Farhad Manjoo’s book, True Enough, raises many thought-provoking issues pertaining to the media coverage, logistics, and varying interpretations of the attacks that occurred on 9/11.  Manjoo uses 9/11 as an example of a situation where personal perspectives collided with the media’s perspective, as a confusion of individual thought and general media propaganda occurred in the aftermath of the attacks on that day.  Using topic as the basis for his novel, Manjoo examines the differences between forming personal opinions based on individual experience and interpreting a situation based on how the media portrays the incident and conveys the news to the public.
One of the concepts that I found more interesting than others was the concept of “flashbulb memories” (found on page 65).  The idea behind these memories is that they are formed at moments when your mind is so shocked by a specific surprise that it remembers every aspect of your surroundings at those moments when you were surprised.  This was interesting to me because I can clearly remember where I was and what I was doing when I was told about the attacks on September 11th, 2001.  This concept relates to Manjoo’s overall analysis of interpretations – while I did not witness the attacks firsthand, I was able to watch footage of the attacks on the news later that day.  I have a vivid memory, however, of how my day transpired on September 11th.  The concepts are somewhat disconnected, but they are similar in the sense that, specifically on 9/11, as Manjoo pointed out in this section of the reading, “if you were alive on 9/11, what you remember is what happened at the scene. You saw it unfold. Your flashbulb memory is of the thing itself” (65). So, while I was not at the immediate scene of the attacks, I viewed them on television – a live filming of the attacks.  I did not analyze the attacks. I did not spend time studying them.  I just watched them unfold.  I witnessed history firsthand, as opposed to reading about it in a newspaper at a later time. 
Another aspect of this book that I found very interesting was Manjoo’s argument that the inclusion of a greater amount of media coverage of a situation can lead to greater uncertainty and confusion regarding the interpretation of that situation.  He makes a valid point.  A particular multimedia clip has the potential to be interpreted in so many different ways that, though the clip might have recorded an incident, the details of that incident might be blurred if the incident is over-analyzed. Over-analyzing situations can lead to false conclusions.  As Manjoo noted, “42 percent of Americans believe that ‘the U.S. government and its 9/11 Commission concealed or refused to investigate critical evidence that contradicts their official explanation of the September 11th attacks” (65).  This outcry was based on the viewing and over-analyzing of “thousands of photographs and sounds recorded that day” (65). 
While there were other aspects of Manjoo’s examination of the media in this book that I found interesting, these were some of the concepts that have stuck with me.  I know that I will always remember every detail of my day on 9/11.  And the next time I watch the news, I will be sure to consider the angle from which the news is being covered.  I will consider the news station’s credibility before fully believing every aspect of the story.   More so than I did before reading this book, I can now better appreciate the media’s great influence on our lives.  And reflecting on what happened on 9/11 has made me think about the media has portrayed the events over the past decade.  There are always multiple interpretations of every story.  This book has made me think about the extent to which the media influences the opinions I shape.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your concluding sentence because it is something that I left out in my paper, and it is so profoundly true in my life also. As you mentioned in this paper regarding major events that receive major media coverage such as 9/11, I have trouble deciphering which news broadcast is going to present me the story with the most validity. The statistic stating that 42% of Americans think that the government concealed information regarding an explanation of the entirety of the tragedy is a little scary. If our generation is known for experiencing these attacks, and they will some day be in historical text books, there ought to be less doubt surrounding the topic. There were millions witnessing the event first hand after all. I believe this controversy is long from over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember only the beginning of my day during 9/11 as I watched the planes hit the tower. I don't think I really understood what was happening and so it wasnt really important to me until later when I was able to grasp the concept of what was happening. What really stuck with from that day was my mother frantically trying to call my dad, who was flying into NYC and then me going to school and telling the teacher that a plane had hit a building in New York, and her calling my an idiot for saying such a thing. I think Flashbulb memories only really exist if we have the cultural background for them to really make an impact.

    ReplyDelete